How to De-Clutter Your Home
We have serviced hundreds of customers that needed a bin rental to help clear out and de-clutter their home all throughout the year but especially during Spring Cleaning. Over this time span, we've learned many tricks to help you with your clear out project.
- Donate/Waste/Keep: Once you've identified all the objects up for de-cluttering consideration, start to sort them in 3 classifications; keep; donate; waste. Remember, not only can you help your fellow community residents by donating your objects to organizations like Habitat For Humanity ReStore but you can also turn those donations into tax deductions! The ultimate win-win!
- Tackle one room at a time: A whole home clear out can be a daunting task! That's why we provide you a 5 day rental for your bin rental. We suggest that you utilize the divide and conquer strategy by tackling one room/area at a time.
- Ask the hard questions: Really, how many bottle openers, beer steins, Tupperware containers and unused photo frames do you need? Are you asking the tough question of, "do I really need this?" If you have trouble answering that, find someone in your personal network that's willing to answer the question; typically, this is a good solution because they have no attached nostalgia to your objects and will give you the rational answer you need to hear.
- Conquer Nostalgia: Yes, it can be tough to get rid of something that has sentimental value, but as described in this blog post, if you sort through the nostalgic items with a friend or family member can help you take that trip down memory lane.
- Be prepared: places to store your clutter: Before diving into your home clear out, you need the proper tools and resources in order. Storage space will certainly be needed so gather an army of Rubbermaid containers and totes. However, be cautious, you don't want to collect too many storage containers to the point that they become the clutter themselves!
- Make a List: In the continuation of being prepared, complete preparation starts with making a list of all the rooms, space and items that need to be sorted through. Create a checklist of each room/space and all the items you've sorted in those rooms
- Learn from the Pros: There are a lot of resources that provide invaluable advice when it comes to de-cluttering. From helping you create your checklist to tackling specific de-cluttering projects, there is no home organization subject that isn't addressed somewhere on the Internet
To discover more de-cluttering tips and about living an organized lifestyle check out the Bin There Dump That corporate blog